If you were injured in a car accident and are considering suing the other party, you should hire a personal injury lawyer to represent you. As you begin looking for one to hire, one of your biggest challenges may be knowing which is the best one for you. Here are several factors to consider as you look for the right one, along with the reasons you should make sure you select a good one right from the start.
Qualities to look for
There are a lot of really good personal injury lawyers around, and you can compare them by looking at the following qualities:
- Length of experience – Length of experience does not always matter, but it can be helpful in most personal injury cases.
- Area of expertise – There is no point in hiring a lawyer that specializes in product liability if you suffered injuries from a car accident. Stick with a lawyer that knows car accident laws for the best results.
- Percentage of cases won – A lawyer with a 100% win rate might be rare, but this is the type of lawyer that may be good to look for.
- Rates they charge – Personal injury lawyer fees are typically in terms of percentages, and these can range from 33% to 40%.
The best way to find the right lawyer for you is to look for one that is highly experienced handling and winning car accident cases.
Reasons you need a good lawyer
Finding a good lawyer is important for several reasons:
- Better chances of winning – By looking at a lawyer's percentages of wins to losses, you will be able to choose one that may help improve your odds at winning the case.
- Replacing your lawyer may cost you – Personal injury lawyers work on contingency in most cases, which means you only pay if you win; however, if you fire your lawyer halfway through the case, you may end up owing that lawyer money. In addition, you will also owe money to the next lawyer you hire if you win the case. You should also be aware that if you fail to pay your original lawyer for the fees owed after firing him or her, the lawyer may have the right to withhold your paperwork from your new lawyer.
If you are ready to learn more about how a personal injury lawsuit could help you recover money for damages and injuries, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer today.Share